Blurring the lines
Airports and concessionaires are increasingly recognising that travellers want to experience local flavours and culture. So why not base your airport food hall on “one of the most delicious neighbourhoods” in the city you serve?
That’s exactly what Seattle Tacoma International Airport has done in establishing the 7,077sq ft Capitol Hill Food Hall in Concourse A, based on a thriving local culinary area of the same name and operated by SSP America.
The multiple food stations in the food hall will “pour Washington wines, serve gourmet grab-and-go, and local coffee” with menu choices that are “Instagram-worthy”, the airport says.
But more than that, SSP is hoping to create a dynamic communal space that puts as much emphasis on socialising and experience as it does eating, drinking and shopping and socialising. To that end, the company has installed a dedicated performance space for live music.
SSP America Senior Director of Restaurant Development & Innovation Sebastiaan Rotteveel explains that blurring the lines between F&B, retail and events is an emerging restaurant trend.
“Blurring means everything all together, no barriers between your needs. Why should travellers have to spend time and energy finding every different thing their family or group wants when we can bring it together for them, and make their airport visit so much better?”
One of two permanent performance spaces at the airport for local musicians, across all genres, is located at the food hall
SSP boutique restaurant Pizza Vino is one of the highlights of the new food hall, offering artisanal pizzas and stromboli
Experience above all: Capitol Hill Food Hall comes with the tagline ‘Great Mood, Great Food, Great Seattle’
Capitol Hill Food Hall restaurants and vendors
- Locally-owned speciality coffee roaster Caffe Ladro, which recently celebrated its 25-year anniversary.
- The Bakery, which serves freshly-made gourmet sandwiches from local Seattle bakeries.
- SSP boutique restaurant Pizza Vino, which offers a variety of artisanal pizzas and stromboli [a food item in which ingredients are rolled inside of pizza dough].
- Local ‘institution’ Chowder Shack, which brings traditional and speciality seafood chowders and bisques from Pike’s Place Chowder.
- SSP boutique gourmet burger concept True Burger Co.
- The General Store, which offers food-related items such as regional craft sodas and cold-pressed juices, sweet and savoury snacks.
- Family-run ice cream company Salt & Straw, which serves handmade ice creams.
- Local bar Tap & Pour, which features craft brews, regional wines, cocktails and bourbon and whiskey flights.